Thursday, April 20, 2017

Upon Several Occasions By Elizabeth Berridge

Summary By Goodreads:

'Bad luck's been on her ever since she was born' and the pitfalls that surround Mady Barnard form the backdrop to this moving story of community.

Birth, marriage, death and a trip to Bristow link the industrious characters of Elizabeth Berridge's subtle and insightful third novel, first published in 1953. Mrs. Barnard's aspirations for her daughter Mady, the grief felt by Mrs. Peters, the rector's wife, over her son's death in Burma and Doris Weldon's frustration with her children tell of day-to-day life in the village. In the background remains the Women's League, a subterfuge where knitting patterns and scone 

recipes are swapped and where gossip is circulated with passion.




My Thoughts:

This was a very slow book, as it goes through its motion I found that even though the characters seemed well built I still felt them lacking. Its slowness takes away from the story line, the constant perspective change was not  bad, I had originally not liked it but getting farther into the book its far more welcome. This was difficult to read as I think I am used to a little more action but it's something that you read anyways just because it's there, it had great imagery. Overall I think that this is just one of those books that you would only read once but recommend anyways.

3 comments:

  1. I love occasion. I love to visit the occasion with my friends. Every time when i am about to visit a occasion i have to buy tickets. And i am so lazy that's why i buy ticket from a online platform called occasion tickets. You can visit the website and can know about today events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misfortune never comes knocking, it comes down suddenly, and you don't even get a chance to recover. But, life is all about fighting hard and turning it into your happy destiny. Assignment Writing Services

    ReplyDelete

10 Book Reviews Reviews Published Professional Reader