Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Holtur Enigma by Cameron Wayne Smith

Summary by Goodreads:
The monsters you fear are nothing compared to the ones you do not.

With the threat of a monstrous army arising, Vivian has set off towards the town of Holtur. His job is to conscript the toughest men he can find, in a location known for producing some of the best monster slayers around. However, Holtur has its own issues, and helping this stranger is far from a priority.

Will Vivian convince the people of Holtur to help his cause? Or will he fall victim to the beasts, wyverns, or horrors that surround the town? It doesn’t take long for him to discover that he was nowhere near prepared for this godforsaken land.



My Thoughts:
Okay so, first it could have used an epilogue. I wouldn’t normally say this because I know most readers think that epilogues are just a wasted chapter, but in some cases like this one when your beginning is in the center of action I feel like you need to prepare the reader for the action. Otherwise you leave the reader feeling as though they missed something. Now around the sixth and seventh chapter I had really started to ease into the story which made the no epilogue problem pretty much diminish. The author has an amazing skill with world building. The monsters were semi realistic I think out of all of the monsters my favorite was the flame wyvern, don’t get me wrong the stone wyvern was wicked but the flame wyvern was just about the awesomist thing that I read about in this book. Overall it was a great book and I look forward to reading the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Book Reviews Reviews Published Professional Reader